An elderly British couple have tragically died in Benidorm due to a house fire in the Costa Blanca resort of Denia located near Benidorm.

After a neighbour raised the alarm, Emergency Services in Spain rushed to the scene, but despite their best efforts, there was nothing they could do to save the victims. The couple, aged 78 and 84, were found inside the property and were pronounced dead at the scene.

Spain’s National Police are now leading an investigation into the fire, which, although not officially stated, is believed to have started accidentally.

Despite the authorities being notified of the blaze shortly before 11 am this morning, well-placed sources have claimed that firefighters discovered the inside of the property already gutted and believe the fire could have occurred up to several days ago.

The neighbour who raised the alarm reportedly explained to the authorities that although she had seen no flames, she became concerned because the windows’ inside were blackened. The property where the tragic fire took place is located on a residential estate known locally as Urbanizacion Betlems near the landmark Montgo Mountain.

It is unknown if they lived permanently in the house or used it as a holiday home.

Spain’s National Police are now leading the investigation into the fire, and it is believed they both died from smoke inhalation. Still, autopsies will be carried out to establish their official cause of death.