A British fugitive who beat a German tourist to death in a bar fight eight years ago has been pictured as he is sent back to Spain to serve his prison sentence.
Ross Moore will spend 14 months behind bars after he killed 46-year-old Ingo Dewitz in an argument at The Captain’s Bar in La Cala de Mijas near Fuengirola, Costa del Sol, in July 2015.
The 38-year-old punched the German thrice in the face on July 16, 2015, with the victim collapsing and dying.
The builder, from Colchester, was given a 14-month prison sentence for manslaughter in 2020, but it was suspended after he agreed to pay Mr Dewitz’s family and the court £130,000 over two years.
But the father-of-two has since failed to pay, and earlier this month, a judge at Westminster Magistrates’ Court declared him a fugitive after a Spanish arrest warrant was issued.
According to reports at the time of the fatal fight, two men had tried resuscitating the German before fleeing in a car with a UK number plate.
Two British men, including Moore, an expat at the time, were arrested afterwards. He was later charged over Mr Dewitz’s death.
Moore, detained at his flat in Essex this April, fought his extradition and claimed the victim’s death was an accident.
‘He died in my arms. I got scared and ran. I was simply trying to do the right things and stand up for another person as the victim was causing trouble,’ he said.
Moore also said his life was in danger following death threats from Spanish and Portuguese gangs, but District Judge Sara-Jane Griffiths dismissed this claim due to a lack of evidence.
District judge Sarah-Jane Griffiths wrote in her judgement that there was a ‘strong public interest’ in England following its obligations under the international extradition treaty.
She added: ‘[Moore’s] extradition is sought about a serious allegation, namely manslaughter. I am satisfied to the necessary standard that there are no bars to this extradition request.’