A man died after being brutally gored by a bull in the municipality of La Pobla de Farnals in Valencia on Saturday, September 23.
The incident occurred around 7:30 p.m. during a bull run that was taking place as part of local festivities in the town. The animal known as ‘Cocinero’ belonged to the Luis Algarra ranch supplying the bulls.
As soon as he was let out of his box, the bull gored two people violently, pinning them up against the bars of a house on the route being used for the run.
The two injured men were Comissió de Bous club members, which organised the festivities.
One of the bull’s victims, a 62-year-old, was transferred in an ambulance to Valencia Clinical Hospital after sustaining four wounds, including one to his side that affected the lung and liver.
He subsequently suffered several cardiorespiratory arrests and died at around 11 p.m. that evening. His body will be transferred to the Institute of Legal Medicine of Valencia, where the relevant post-mortem examination will be performed.
The deceased was reportedly a native of La Pobla de Farnals and had been living in Castellón for some time, where he worked as a salesman. He was the father of two children.
According to some villagers, the deceased was an ‘affable and friendly’ man who was unlucky because the same animal injured the two people.
His friends told the paper that he was a bullfighting enthusiast but never took part in the running. ‘He was not what is known as a ‘rodaor’, but he liked to be with his friends on bullfighting days”, they explained.
The other injured man was also said to be in his 60s and is a well-known local businessman in the citrus trade. He was reportedly stable at the Valencia Clinical Hospital after being gored several times in both legs.
After hearing the tragic news, the Pobla de Farnals Council and the Comissió de Bous club, to which both men belonged, decided to suspend the celebrations planned for Saturday night.
Sunday’s Sant Francesc procession and fireworks display – which had already been postponed last week due to the DANA – was also cancelled.