A young girl aged three has died after choking at an Asda supermarket.
Emergency services, including two ambulances and a Hazardous Area Response Team, were called to the branch at Aintree, Merseyside.
The three-year-old girl was taken to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital, but police have since confirmed the child died a short time later.
The tragic incident is not being treated as suspicious, and enquiries are ongoing.
Police are supporting the family as they try to come to terms with the devastating news.
A North West Ambulance Service spokesperson told the Liverpool Echo: “Two emergency ambulances and a member of our Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) responded to a 999 call that a child was suffering a medical emergency at ASDA on Ormskirk Road, Aintree.
“The call was made at 20.48 yesterday evening. The patient was transported to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital.”
A Merseyside police spokesperson confirmed the tragic loss of the child and said the death is not being treated as suspicious.
A statement read: “We can confirm that emergency services were in Aintree following an incident last night, Tuesday 10 August.
“At around 9.50 pm, the ambulance service attended reports of a three-year-old girl choking inside Asda on Ormskirk Road.
“The child was taken to hospital but sadly pronounced dead a short time later. Officers are supporting the family at this sad time.
“The incident is not currently being treated as suspicious, and enquiries are ongoing.
“A file is in the process of being prepared for the coroner.”