Dad Michael Roe shakes his 8 week old daughter to death

Dad, shook 8 week-old daughter to death as mum told police injured baby was fine

An eight-week-old baby was shaken to death by her dad, while her mum told police that the horrifically injured tot was “fine”, a court has heard.

Premature Holly Roe suffered head injuries on three different occasions and 12 rib fractures in her short life.

Dad Michael Roe, 32, is accused of shaking baby Holly on more than one occasion leading to her death in September 2018.

While young mum Tiffany Tate, 22, is accused of allowing her death at the hands of the father, Lewes Crown Court in Hove heard.

Tragic baby Holly was born on July 14, 2018, two months early by emergency caesarean section and had to be resuscitated.

The infant was discharged from hospital on August 9, but within a few weeks, she was dead from injuries caused by violent, abusive shaking.

Sally Howes QC told the jury the rib fractures she suffered would have been extremely painful and Holly would have been severely distressed.

But Tate told police she thought her baby was absolutely fine just hours before her baby died.

Ms Howes told the jury that Tate turned a blind eye to her child’s horrific injuries.

Tate said Michael Roe woke her at 1.30 am saying: “Holly’s cold, she’s not breathing.”

Former foster child Tiffany was only 19 when she moved in with Roe.

They lived together in Crowborough, East Sussex when baby Holly was born two months premature.

Tate admitted she had trouble bonding with her daughter while she was still in the premature baby unit which continued after Holly was allowed home.

According to Ms Howes, when the baby cried, she became frustrated and panicked and Roe took overnight feeds as she had no patience with Holly.

Roe fed the baby after smoking a cannabis joint on the night she died, the court heard.

Emergency services were called to the house in the early hours of Monday, September 10, 2018, after the couple reported she was having breathing difficulties.

Holly was found to be cold, not breathing and with no heart activity.

Ms Howes told the court Roe told police something startled him.

She told the jury: “He felt Holly’s head and it was cold. He then felt her chest and it was warm.

“He carried out a test for reflex, there was none.

“He woke Tiffany Tate and gave two rescue breaths to Holly but she did not respond.

“Michael Roe rang the emergency services for an ambulance.”

Paramedics battled to save her before she was taken to Pembury Hospital in Tunbridge Wells where she was pronounced dead.

Holly died on September 10, 2018, and post mortem examinations showed numerous signs of injury on her tiny body.

Roe had no patience with his daughter and lost his temper at feeding times, Ms Howes told the jury he “knew exactly what he was doing.”  Global247News Twitter

Global247News Facebook  Global247News LinkedIn

Global247News WebWiki Review

Share on your Social Networks


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *