A US judge has dealt Amber Heard a blow in her $100 million lawsuit against ex-husband Johnny Depp who she says tried to destroy her career.
Amber Heard suffers setback in $100 million lawsuit against Johnny Depp: A judge from Fairfax County, Virginia, has ruled this week that nasty comments made by Depp online aimed at his ex-wife did not necessarily constitute defamation of character. Heard and Depp are in the middle of bitter lawsuits against each other with Depp suing Heard for $50 million after she allegedly accused him of domestic abuse in a Washington Post article in 2019 and, although he wasn’t actually named the lawsuit contends that it was about him.
After this Heard filed a suit to say that Depp had orchestrated a social media campaign to ruin her career and pushed to have her sacked from the sequel film to Aquaman (she had starred in the original) and also removed as the spokeswoman for L’Oreal. On Monday, Judge Bruce Wight looked at the information regarding Heard’s claims against Depp, saying “The pleading fails to demonstrate that the social media accounts communicated obscene language, suggested obscene acts, or threatened illegal or immoral acts.” and said that Depp’s texts were sent “privately, to two of his friends, and Ms. Heard has not alleged that Mr. Depp intended for her to see them.”
Although the warring couple were only married for just over a year, the lawsuist have been running for 18 months with hundreds of pages of documents and many courtroom arguments over evidence. Depp lost a case in the UK against The Sun newspaper in November last year after they described his character as an “abuser” in which the High Court in London heard that he “violently abused” his ex-wife on many occasions during their short marriage however Depp is appealing against the ruling. The Virginia case is due to go to trial in May.
Share on your Social Networks