A man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a girl and a woman was taken to hospital following an explosion at a home.
The girl, aged 11, and a woman, aged 32, were taken to hospital as a ‘precaution’ following the incident in Wythenshawe, a police spokesperson has said.
Police were called to Pewsey Road this morning at around 12.20 am after the sound of a bang was heard by neighbours.
Emergency services attended and established a gas canister inside the home had caused an explosion.
The walls and windows within the property were badly damaged.
A fire service spokesman said five people were checked at the scene by paramedics.
A 43-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and arson with intent to endanger life. He remains in custody for further questioning.
A crime scene remains in place at the property and an investigation is underway, the police spokesman said.
Det Insp Christopher Potter of GMP’s City of Manchester Division said: “This was a nasty explosion that has caused some significant damage to a property and it’s lucky that no one sustained any serious injuries.
“Whilst no one was badly hurt, this has left those who were inside the property at the time understandably shaken and upset.
“We understand that events such as this can cause significant worry and concern for the local community but we want to reassure you that we believe this to have been an isolated incident and there is no wider threat posed to the public.
“We currently have one man in custody for questioning and our investigation is very much underway as we try to ascertain all the facts surrounding the incident. We would urge anyone with information that could assist us with our inquiries to speak with police.”
A Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson also added: “At 00:34 on 30 December 2020, three fire engines from Cheadle and Wythenshawe, and one technical response unit with support appliance from Ashton under Lyne, attended an incident in a domestic property on Pewsey Road, Wythenshawe.”It is believed that there was an explosion caused by a butane gas cylinder.
“There was no fire, but firefighters used shoring up equipment, lighting equipment, a thermal imaging camera, and gas detectors to make the property safe.
“Five casualties were given a precautionary check by ambulance paramedics. Crews were in attendance for approximately two hours.”
Share on your Social Networks