Tescos introduces buying limits on popular products

Tesco have received a fine of over £500,000 after a 10-year-old child was electrocuted while picking a lolly out of a freezer.

Tesco receive £500,000 fine after child is electrocuted reaching for a lolly: Earlier this week at Reading Magistrates Court the supermarket giant pleaded guilty to two charges of health and safety failure after the incident at a store in Warfield, Berkshire in 2017. The child had been electrocuted whilst reaching into the freezer by an exposed wire which left him with a burn and pain to his leg and chest.

The freezer was still in use the day after the incident until it was eventually turned off. Records from the store show that the rail, which would normally protect the exposed wire, was loose and had been patched up before the incident. A spokeswoman fro Tesco said “This incident at our store in Bracknell in July 2017 should not have happened – as we acknowledged in court, on this occasion we did not meet our high standards when it comes to health and safety.

We immediately refreshed colleague training on our health and safety and maintenance escalation procedures at this store after the incident took place.” The fine, of £536,000, also included costs and a victim’s surcharge. Executive Member for Culture, Delivery and Public Protection at Bracknell Forest Council, Councillor John Harrison, said “This investigation which followed an incident where a child was electrocuted in the store revealed significant breaches of health and safety legislation and this is clearly reflected in the sentencing. The council will always follow up concerns about health and safety matters in premises where it is responsible for enforcement and if anyone has concerns they should contact our environmental health team.”


https://Global247News.com  Global247News Twitter

Global247News Facebook  Global247News LinkedIn

Global247News WebWiki Review


Share on your Social Networks

Advertisement

Leave a Reply