After eating homemade corn noodles that had reportedly been kept in a freezer for more than a year, 9 members of the same Chinese family have died.

After eating homemade corn noodles that had reportedly been kept in a freezer for more than a year, 9 members of the same Chinese family have died.

Nine members of a Chinese family have died: The poison, from bongkrekic acid found in noodles, is believed to be the cause. Local authorities have ruled out that the family were intentionally poisoned. The China Daily newspaper reported that, after the tragic incident, the National Health Commission issued an urgent warning on Tuesday. For people not to make foods with fermented rice and flour.

The family of 12, from the Northeast province of Heilongjiang in China, had all gathered together for breakfast on the 5th October. With 9 of them eating the noodles. But the younger members said they did not like the taste and abstained. The 9 noodle eaters all fell ill within hours and by the 11th October 8 were already dead.

The final family member, named Li, was treated in hospital but died on Monday. Director of food safety at Heilongjiang Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, Gao Fei, told reporters that very often in cases of bongkrekic acid poisoning the effects can be fatal. Mr Fei went on to say “It can cause serious damage to many human organs including the liver, kidneys, heart, and brain.”

Experts say that there is no known antidote at the moment. And the fatality rate is between 40-100%. Symptoms of the poisoning start with stomach cramps, sweating, weakness and eventually a coma. Death then normally occurs within 24 hours.


https://Global247News.com  Global247News Twitter

Global247News Facebook  Global247News WebWiki Review


Share on your Social Networks

Advertisement

Leave a Reply