Women and children killed in the disputed Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh region as hundreds called to conscription

Women and children were among the fatalities as civilians and troops were killed during a bloody weekend of fighting and bombing in the Nagorno-Karabakh region.

Shelling hit the region as Armenia’s government accused Azerbaijan of launching a full-blown offensive against Nagorno-Karabakh.

Azerbaijan said they are ‘defending the people of the region’ against Armenia’s own attacks.

The area has been hotly disputed for decades now and has led to an increase in fighting over the years.

The Armenian-populated enclave that broke from Azerbaijan in the early 1990s, announced all adult males will be mobilized and that martial law will be declared starting Sunday.

Armenia followed suit later in the day, obliging all men of conscription age to report to their nearest recruitment offices.

Martial law has also been declared, with Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan telling compatriots to “be ready to defend our sacred homeland.”

Dozens of civilians, including women and children, were killed and hurt in the fighting and Samvel Babayan, head of the Nagorno-Karabakh security council, told the media that at least 10 troops had been killed in action.

The death toll will be adjusted as the day progresses, he said.

Both sides are camped along the border as governments and world security councils do their best to prevent all out war.


https://Global247News.com  Global247News Twitter

Global247News Facebook  Global247News WebWiki Review


Share on your Social Networks

Advertisement

Leave a Reply