Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe is facing a new charge and trial in Iran.
British-Iranian charity worker Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe facing new trial whilst close to the end of her five-year sentence for plotting to overthrow the Iranian Government. Meanwhile, the new charge against her has not yet been made public. Later, State media in Tehran said she was put before a revolutionary court on Tuesday morning.
Previously, she was arrested in April 2016 whilst visiting her parents with daughter, Gabriella.
Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe was released from prison earlier this year due the coronavirus outbreak. Since then, she has been living at her parents’ house.
Afterwards, her MP, Tulip Siddiq confirmed the news about the new charges saying. “I’ve been in touch with Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe and can confirm that she was taken to court this morning. And told she will face another trial on Sunday. Also I know many people are concerned about her welfare and I’ll keep everyone updated when we have more information. This is an extremely worrying development. And I know many people are concerned about Nazanin’s welfare.”
Her husband has previously expressed fears that she could face a second court case when her sentence ends.
It is believed that she and other dual nationals have been arrested because Iran wants Great Britain to pay an old debt over an arms deal that was never fulfilled.
Amnesty International has spoken out over the treatment of Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe. Kate Allen the charities UK Director has commented. “Nazanin has already been convicted once after a deeply unfair trial. And there should be no question of her being put through that ordeal again. As a matter of absolute urgency the UK government should make fresh representations on Nazanin’s behalf. Seeking to have any suggestion of a second trial removed.”
Share on your Social Networks