The identities of five friends of the Duchess of Sussex who gave an anonymous interview to a US magazine will not be revealed, the High Court has ruled.
The duchess had put in a legal bid for five friends who spoke to People magazine to remain anonymous in reports of court proceedings.
The High Court has now ruled in her favour and her five friend’s names will not be revealed.
The Duchess, who married Prince Harry of the British Royal Family in May 2018, is suing Associated Newspapers (a subsidiary of DMG Media based in London) over an article which reproduced parts of a handwritten letter which she had written and sent to her father, Thomas Markle, in August 2018.
She is seeking damages for alleged misuse of private information, copyright infringement and breach of the Data Protection Act over publication of the “private and confidential” letter.
In the article published last year, the friends spoke out about bullying against Meghan.
The duchess says her friends gave the interview without her knowledge, but Associated Newspapers said she “caused or permitted” the article to be published.
In court documents for the hearing, Meghan’s lawyers argued that the friends – referred to as A to E – have a right to anonymity both as confidential journalistic sources and under their own privacy rights.
All five will remain anonymous except for court documents.
Mr Justice Warby is due to deliver his ruling on the duchess’s application at 10.30am on Wednesday.
Share on your Social Networks