The President of Lebanon, Michel Aoun tweeted it was “unacceptable” that 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate was stored unsafely in Beirut’s dock for 6 years.
The country’s leader’s comments come as at least 60 people were killed and more than 2,700 others have been wounded after an explosion in the city’s port.
Video images captured the moment that sent dust and debris high into the area and sent shockwaves 150 miles away to Cyprus.
People were filmed bloodied and mangled in wreckage with the glass of blown out house and car windows strewn across the street.
An investigation is under way to find the exact trigger for the explosion.
Hospitals are said to be overwhelmed and many buildings have been destroyed.
Journalists at the scene reported dead bodies and severe damage, enough to put the port of Beirut out of action.
Prime Minister Hassan Diab called it a catastrophe and said those responsible must be held to account.
He spoke of a “dangerous warehouse” which had been there since 2014, but said he would not pre-empt the investigation.
Tensions are also high ahead of Friday’s verdict in a trial of four Hezbollah members over the killing of ex-Prime Minister Rafik Hariri in 2005.
Share on your Social Networks